- MEDITATION: Believing that mediation requires an hour of silence in a zen-like atmosphere is a common misconception. A mere THREE MINUTES! of stillness and focused breathing has proven to quell anxiety, ease depression and ignite a positive mental state. Anywhere, anytime – one can “meditate”.
2. LAUGHTER: Let it be thy medicine. Why? Well, first off it triggers the release of endorphins (our bod’s natural feel-good chemicals) which in turn promotes an overall sense of wellbeing. Secondly, laughing decreases stress hormones while it increases immune cells – keeping us more resistant to disease. Here are two clean one liners should you need a dose:
one: Why don’t scientists trust atoms? Because they make up everything!!
two: Knock knock. Who’s there? Smell mop. (finish this joke in your head)
3. A PLEASURE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY: Think about what activities you LOVE to do and relish in one of them everyday, however small. Ten minute walk, coloring, sipping hot cocoa, writing, soaking in the bath tub, you name it.
4. SUPPORT: Join a group! With access to the internet these days, finding the right group for you is but a google search away. Other places to discover such groups are your local public library or community college. Support, fresh ideas and camaraderie are so essential to our health. Many folks who work from home struggle from depression and it has been linked to lack of face-face interaction. Get out there!
5. Say “NO” – We are bombarded with demands from others in our fast paced society – socially and professionally. Remember, you are allowed to say no, you are allowed to turn your phone off and disconnect, set your boundaries!
6. PURCHASE (or make!) A WEIGHTED BLANKET: These blankets are typically used for ADHD and anxiety, but can provide soothing relief for just about anyone who is experiencing being a human 😉 Drape it on yourself when you watch a movie or nap.
7. EAT CLEAN: Yes, you’ll feel better about yourself, but (most importantly) feeding yourself well allows your body to function optimally. We were designed to run on whole, not processed, foods!
8. MOVE: Movement IS medicine. Any kind of movement – gardening, dancing, weight lifting, stretching – get off that rear and into gear!