What are adrenals?
Our adrenal glands are endocrine glands that sit right on top of our kidneys. They produce hormones that aid our body in controlling blood sugar, burning protein and fat, and regulating blood pressure. They as well produce hormones in response to stress – playing a huge role in the flight or fight response. Two of the most important adrenal hormones are cortisol and aldosterone.
Living in these days of uncertainty causes much stress, which takes a toll on our adrenal glands. When these glands are overused, the body may experience several symptoms. Here are the most common ones:
- excessive sweating with little activity
- low pack pain
- dark circles under the eyes
- muscle twitches
- low blood sugar
- heart palpitations
- easily irritable
- chronic infections
- light headed feeling when you stand up
- tired, yet wired.
- cravings for sugar
- dry skin
- lack of libido
- tendency to startle easily
- negative response to thyroid hormone
If you are experiencing a handful of the above, you may have tired adrenals. Get a saliva test right away. Our adrenal glands are crucial to our immune function and as well support our thyroid in proper functioning.
NATURAL WAYS TO SUPPORT YOUR ADRENALS
- eliminate sugar and processed carbs.
- eat clean animal protein foods, organic root vegetables, and mung beans for easy-to-digest protein.
- reduce coffee intake, try an herbal coffee alternative like teecino (found at local health food stores)
SPECIFIC FOODS TO ENJOY THAT WILL SUPPORT YOUR ADRENALS
- cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.)
- Fatty fish (e.g., wild-caught salmon)
- Seeds, such as pumpkin, chia and flax
- Kelp and seaweed
- chaga mushrooms
- sea salt
- free range chicken
HERBS: Ashwagandha, Schisandra, Holy Basil
Other tips: add lavender oil to your bath, avoid negative self talk as well as negative people, aim for a solid 8 hours of sleep every night, be sure to keep exercising (gentle movement, nothing strenuous), get at least an hour of fresh air daily.