Today’s first for the “one new thing a day for 100 days” new years resolution was to learn how to write and speak the numbers 1 to 5 in Chinese (Mandarin) (the top row of characters seen below).
- 1: 一 (壹) yī (pronounced yee)
- 2: 二 (Traditional:貳) èr (pronounced uhr)
- 3: 三 (Traditional:參) sān (pronounced sahn)
- 4: 四 (肆) sì (pronounced suh)
- 5: 五 (伍) wǔ(pronounced woo)
Wild to think that 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese..
- The current population of China is 1,386,443,014 as of Monday, March 13, 2017, based on the latest United Nations estimates.
- China population is equivalent to 18.47% of the total world population.
- China ranks number 1 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population.
- The population density in China is 148 per Km2 (383 people per mi2).* U.S. is 84 per mi2
- The total land area is 9,390,784 Km2 (3,625,800 sq. miles) *U.S. is 3.797 million sq. miles
- 59.1 % of the population is urban (819,767,019 people in 2017)
- The median age in China is 37.3 years.